– Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery from the University of Barcelona (1974).
– Degree in Stomatology from the University of Barcelona (1976).
– Specialist in Maxillofacial Surgery from the Autonomous University of Barcelona. (MIR System) (1979).
– Diploma in Oncological Head and Neck Surgery from the University of Paris XI (1981).
– Master’s Degree in Maxillofacial and Plastic Surgery of the Face from the University of Paris VI (1984).
– Doctor in Medicine and Surgery from the Autonomous University of Barcelona (1986).
– European Board of Oral Surgery. European Federation of Oral Surgery Societies. Luxembourg (2001).
– Postgraduate training in different foreign hospitals (France, Italy, Switzerland, USA, Canada, Belgium, Sweden, etc.).
– Associate Physician of Maxillofacial Surgery of the General Hospital of the “Vall d’Hebron” Health City. Barcelona (1979-1988).
– Associate Professor and Collaborator of Maxillofacial Surgery of the Department of Surgery. Faculty of Medicine of the Autonomous University of Barcelona (1978-1988).
– Full Professor of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Pathology at the Faculty of Dentistry of the University of Barcelona (1988-1993).
– Professor of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Pathology at the University of Barcelona (1994-to date).
– Dean of the Faculty of Dentistry at the University of Barcelona (1989-1995). First Dean of the Faculty.
– Director of the Master of Oral Surgery and Oral Implantology (1989-2012). Faculty of Dentistry of the University of Barcelona.
– Director of the Master of Oral Surgery and Oral Implantology. (EFHRE International University-FUCSO). (2012 to present).
– Coordinator/Researcher of the consolidated research group “Dental and Maxillofacial Pathology and Therapeutics” of the Bellvitge Biomedical Research Institute (IDIBELL).
– 4 sections with a positive assessment granted by the National Commission for the Evaluation of Research Activity (CNEAI). Secretary of State for Education and Universities. Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport. Government of Spain.
– Director of the “European Institute for Research in the Advanced Treatment of Dentistry” (EFHRE International University).
– Director of the Oral Surgery and Oral Implantology Service of the Dental Clinic of the University of Barcelona (1989-2012).
– Professor of 285 postgraduate courses in Oral Surgery, Maxillofacial Surgery and Head and Neck Surgery in Spain and abroad.
– He has given more than 2,280 conferences and communications at Congresses in Spain and abroad.
– Author of 560 publications in specialty journals (indexes/impact factor).
– Author of 16 books on the specialty and 82 chapters in other books on Oral Surgery and Maxillofacial Surgery.
– Scientific Director of the Video Library of Dentistry and Stomatology and of the Video Library of Head and Neck Surgery.
– Deputy Director of the Journal of Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Surgery.
– President of the Board of Trustees of the “Catalan Private Foundation for Oral Health” (FUCSO).
– Member of 22 Spanish and foreign Scientific Societies. Corresponding academic of the Royal Academy of Medicine of Catalonia. Corresponding foreign academic of the National Academy of Dentistry of the Argentine Republic. President of the Catalan Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Implantology. President of the Spanish Society of Oral Surgery (2001-2003). President of the European Federation of Oral Surgery Societies (1998-2004). Vice-President of the Spanish Society of Dentistry and Stomatology (1996-2002). Vice-President of the Spanish Society of Craniomandibular Dysfunction and Orofacial Pain (1997-2001).
– Head of the Department of Odontological Specialties, Oral Surgery, Oral and Maxillofacial Implantology and Maxillofacial Surgery. Director of the TMJ Pathology and Orofacial Pain Unit. Teknon Medical Center, Barcelona.
Minimally invasive surgery in the treatment of dysfunctional pathology of the temporomandibular joint
The etiology of the dysfunctional pathology of the temporomandibular joint is multifactorial, which implies that its treatment must be carried out by a multidisciplinary team with interdisciplinary management, normally carried out by a dentist with specific training in this pathology.
The basic treatment must always be aetiological, conservative and reversible with a biological, mechanical, psychological and social philosophy, implemented by the dentist, physiotherapist, psychologist or other health specialists deemed necessary.
5 to 10% of cases do not respond adequately to conservative treatment, usually because the dysfunctional pathology has progressed with the appearance of organic lesions. In these cases, minimally invasive surgery can obtain tissue regeneration and improve joint pain and functionality of the jaw.
The techniques we use are punctures, the use of chondroprotectors, cell therapy, arthrocentesis and arthroscopy. The future of this surgical treatment will be Biosurgery that will use biotherapy, immunotherapy, bioactive materials, cell engineering and gene therapy.